WNetherseal Sports Club was founded in 1958 by founder members Philip Richardson, George Oates, Henry Southerd chairman Ray Riley & secretary Maurice Wright.
The land where the Club is now situated in Main Street was rented and later purchased in 1973 for £1000 from the Rural District Council of Repton and trustees of that land appointed. One half of the football pitch is still rented.
Prior to that, the cricket club played on land near Netherseal Hall and the football team played in a number of locations around Netherseal.
A timber building was purchased for the sum of £200 from Measham Car Sales and transported to the site on Jack Stanley’s lorry and erected on the site ready for the official opening in late September 1959.
The twin of this building is still in place at Eastfields, Netherseal.
The bowling green was opened in 1985 and the football pitch moved from the Main Street end of the ground to the opposite end of the land to enable the bowling green to be near to the main building.
The bar was always a focal point of the club and stocked by proceeds from the bar from the previous month. The bar was originally staffed by the committee but later by paid employment. One of the bar persons was Albert Taylor (It is rumoured by some that he still haunts the Club and this explains some of the unusual goings on!), then Val Davies helped by Harold, Brian & Pat Smith. Des, looked after the bar from 1989 assisted mainly by Tucker and Dot & Ron Sturgess until 2016. After that the Goodwin family looked after the bar until in Mar 2020 when Kev was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident. Kev had for a number of years put a lot of time into the running of the sports club.
The club has had several sporting successes over the years, including winning both the Burton and District League & Cup, and the Tamworth League & Cup in its opening year.
In 2008 the club celebrated its’ Golden Anniversary with a spectacular Gala weekend consisting of a procession through the village, Gala, concert and banquet to celebrate and to be reminded of many Gala events in the past.
In 2020 we became a licensed premises and Jess Fryer is our license holder.
The current trustees of the club are Mr R Sturgess, Mr T Sellens, Mr S Sturgess & Mr M Pearce.
The current committee is given below:- Mr P Clamp (chair), Mr T Sellens (President) , Mr J Longland, Mr R.Baxter, Mr A .Burton. Mr L Jones, Mr J Curzon, Mr I & Mrs D , Mr J. Clarke. Mr M Birt, Mr A. Sherwood, Mr E Worth, Mr P. Benton, Mr R. Mrs J Clamp is a volunteer taking on the treasurer/secretary roles at present.